Thursday, June 07, 2007

Road Bike Review - Hill Climbs

Road Bikes tend to have a character of their own and have certain contrasting differences. I am starting to learn that the characteristics of my road bikes and ironically their character also changes and will also differ on the choice of wheelset that I use also. However, this is a preliminary assessment of the bikes that I use for my road adventures especially for hill climbs.



The Bianchi, as I found out recently loves to be riden hard especially on flat road. I find it difficult when trying to tackle long gradient as the ride from Bentong to Genting Sempah. Pacing other riders at 30km/hr or so on gentle climbs is OK, if you are drafting, but the moment you hit a steeper climb, then you find that the effort requires is a bit on the tough side. However, in sprint and pacing, i do enjoy riding this bike.

In stark contrast, the Specialized Tarmac is a nice bike to climb up from Bentong to Genting Sempah. Perhaps it being 3 pounds lighter may explain it but then (in my mind) should not make much of a difference. I find that this bike is more responsive then the Bianchi, and also more comfortable to ride for distances more then 70km. Perhaps the taller stems may have some effect on the ride posture. Need further investigation.

6 comments:

tryathlete said...

nice collection. is that bianchi alu? that could explain why the specialized feels more responsive

TriStupe said...

u got both bikes?

wow!

The Editor said...

trayathlete: Yes, the Bianchi is Alu, but some Alu bike are stiff and may be responsive. I think the geometry of the Specialize better suited me.

Stupe: Casualties of Biking, thats why I have to start working again ;-)

Vicious Cycle said...

eh , check ot the new madone...
its a BLIF!!

Anonymous said...

hi mac, glad you like the bike, it's a good bike for climbing. try genting or Fraser one day and you will love it.

cheers
heckler

The Editor said...

Heckler: Yeah, climbed Frasers twice with the Specialized and it is very responsive. The 27 Cassette also helped a lot though ;-). Now the only outstanding climb is Genting.