Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't Feel Like heaven - The Road to Nirvana

Century ride in Ipoh is coming along. This is a 100 mile (160km) road race going around Perak on a bike. Running up to this Ride, some of us in PCC, decided to ramp up the build up by arranging (upto now) 2 bike rides. The week before we rode a distance of 107km to Center Point-Ijok-Kapar-Puncak Alam-Center Point. Day before yesterday, we rode from Tekala-Genting Peres-Kuala Kelawang-Pantai-Lenggeng-Broga-Semenyih-Tekala (A total distance of 117km) which feels like 180km.

I should have known that I was going to have a tough time on that ride. The day before, I went into Kiara and had a tough time just completing Twin Peaks let alone the ride to Sri Hartamas. deciding to cut my ride short to reserve for the Broga ride, I went back early, after experiencing one en do, two run in with the trees, and two tumbles.

Starting the Sunday at Tekala, there must have been 40 to 50 riders at the start point. It was like a bikers fest with thousand dollar machine on parade (the BMCs, LOOK with BORA wheels, Colnago etc). Well, by the time we push of for Genting Peres, the riders were spread apart. Upon reaching Genting Peres, the smart people like Arif, May Senn decided to turn back to Tekala, while 30 odd of us loonies decided to take the plunge to Kuala Kelawang. I remember my BikePro owner/fren said "Its just three hills, we should be able to do it". Some one forgot to mention that we will be crossing the Banjaran Titiwangsa twice. This ride is about Climb, climb, climb - its the toughest ride that I have ever done. Sure, at some point going downhill at 72km/hr was exhilarating, but the climb from Tekala to Peres and Kuala Kelawang, the climb from Kuala Kelawang to Pantai and lastly the climb to Broga was insane especially in hot arid midday sun.

The feeling was like riding to Genting Sempah 2 times and plus doing the ride from Gap to Frasers 4 times and going to Janda Baik twice all in one ride. I'd hate to do it in reverse. Ironically, symbolically while going back to Tekala, we passed by Nirvana Memorial Park near Semenyih. Some of us felt we should have checked in since we were three quarters dead by that time.

I was on the bike for about 6 hours, i could have reached Ipoh already. My butt was also telling me it does not want to feel the seat no more. This is one memorable ride which I would like to forget. I had to go to my swim class to cool down that day.

Addendum

Check out these cool profiles at Adrian's Blog. This is totally awesome and cool

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

more on genting

Anonymous said...

wow! 180km pergh kaw2 terpeleot ni

Anonymous said...

eh 160 :p

The Editor said...

Sayang clash dengan Bukit Merah Triathlon. I am sure there are many riders who wants to do the Century Ride. I rasa 160, maybe I bonk dulu kot by the time sampai 120-130km ;-(. Thanks for dropping by Jaja

Anonymous said...

i pi bukit merah, my first full tri ;p

TriStupe said...

It baffles me that you believe what the owner/rider of Bike pro says...hahahahahaha...but he is cool la...

The Editor said...

Jaja: Wow, upgrading already..good progress

Stupe: Yeah, I shud have known not to listen to him, my stupidity. Especially when I dropped him on the ride to Ijok and Puncak Alam. His revenge I suppose :-(

Adrian said...

-good climbing mac - u beat me on the first climb after coconut stall!!!!! very strong legs!!

The Editor said...

Adrian....

Well, I was BONKed out the last 14km and I also felt pity for Boon Foo - had to drag him back and keep company wif him.

Anonymous said...

yep clash dgn bkt merah tri.. sedihhh..

if u can finish the broga loop, century ride kira kacang je la :p

The Editor said...

Bacin: Errr...Broga equivlnt 120km, Century Ride = 160km. Donno la, maybe new challenge and new route, not familiar, scared pacing not rite :(